Town and Country, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Town and Country, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Town and Country, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal measure designed to safeguard people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Town and Country, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Town and Country, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Town and Country, MO, get in touch with Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Town and Country, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Town and Country, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Town and Country, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Town and Country, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Town and Country and Missouri order of protection law. As your Town and Country, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Town and Country, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, address your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Town and Country, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the help and advocacy you need during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Town and Country, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause severe legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will lay the foundation for a strong defense and aid protect your rights throughout the Town and Country, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Town and Country, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Town and Country, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can result in a variety of significant consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Town and Country, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Town and Country, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the preliminary step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Town and Country, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Town and Country, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you during the legal journey, providing unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Town and Country, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer