Stoddard County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Stoddard County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Stoddard County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Stoddard County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Stoddard County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Stoddard County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Stoddard County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Stoddard County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Stoddard County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Stoddard County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Stoddard County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Stoddard County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Stoddard County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Stoddard County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in capable hands, receiving the assistance and advocacy you need amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Stoddard County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will establish the foundation for a strong defense and assist defend your rights during the Stoddard County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Stoddard County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Stoddard County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a range of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Stoddard County, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Stoddard County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we highly encourage you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Stoddard County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Stoddard County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, giving resolute support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not wait to contact us now to talk about your order of protection case in Stoddard County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer