Ste. Genevieve County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Ste. Genevieve County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Ste. Genevieve County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to ensure the safety of individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Ste. Genevieve County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Ste. Genevieve County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Ste. Genevieve County, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Ste. Genevieve County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Ste. Genevieve County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Ste. Genevieve County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Ste. Genevieve County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Ste. Genevieve County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Ste. Genevieve County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Ste. Genevieve County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Ste. Genevieve County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, benefiting from the help and advocacy you deserve throughout this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Ste. Genevieve County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can result in grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will establish the foundation for a strong defense and assist defend your rights throughout the Ste. Genevieve County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Ste. Genevieve County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Ste. Genevieve County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a range of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Given the severity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Ste. Genevieve County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Ste. Genevieve County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Ste. Genevieve County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Ste. Genevieve County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you throughout the legal journey, offering unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us today to go over your order of protection case in Ste. Genevieve County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer