St. Louis, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in St. Louis, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Louis, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to safeguard people who may be facing risks, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the St. Louis, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in St. Louis, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in St. Louis, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in St. Louis, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Louis, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your St. Louis, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in St. Louis, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in St. Louis and Missouri order of protection law. As your St. Louis, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in St. Louis, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated St. Louis, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the support and advocacy you deserve throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in St. Louis, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a detailed record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will lay the foundation for a solid defense and aid defend your rights throughout the St. Louis, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s St. Louis, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in St. Louis, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a range of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in St. Louis, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s St. Louis, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the first step in the direction of securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in St. Louis, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Louis, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you throughout the legal journey, giving steadfast support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in St. Louis, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer