St. Louis County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in St. Louis County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Louis County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to safeguard people who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the St. Louis County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in St. Louis County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in St. Louis County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in St. Louis County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Louis County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your St. Louis County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in St. Louis County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in St. Louis County and Missouri order of protection law. As your St. Louis County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in St. Louis County, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated St. Louis County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the support and advocacy you deserve amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in St. Louis County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a qualified attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to building a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will set the foundation for a robust defense and assist protect your rights during the St. Louis County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that offered by Combs Law’s St. Louis County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in St. Louis County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of significant consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in St. Louis County, MO and is dedicated to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to defending your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s St. Louis County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the first step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in St. Louis County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Louis County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you throughout the legal journey, providing resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us now to talk about your order of protection case in St. Louis County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer