St. Francois County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in St. Francois County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Francois County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal tool designed to ensure the safety of people who may be facing dangers, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the St. Francois County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in St. Francois County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in St. Francois County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in St. Francois County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Francois County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your St. Francois County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in St. Francois County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in St. Francois County and Missouri order of protection law. As your St. Francois County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in St. Francois County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated St. Francois County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you need throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in St. Francois County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will set the foundation for a strong defense and aid safeguard your rights throughout the St. Francois County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s St. Francois County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in St. Francois County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a variety of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in St. Francois County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s St. Francois County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step towards securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in St. Francois County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in St. Francois County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, offering unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t wait to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in St. Francois County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer