Scotland County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Scotland County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Scotland County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Scotland County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Scotland County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Scotland County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Scotland County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Scotland County, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Scotland County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Scotland County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is proficient in Scotland County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Scotland County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Scotland County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving crucial evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail is ignored and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Scotland County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you deserve during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Scotland County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, contact a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and assist safeguard your rights throughout the Scotland County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Scotland County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Scotland County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a variety of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you must have experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Scotland County, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complexities of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Scotland County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we strongly encourage you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Scotland County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Scotland County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side throughout the legal journey, giving steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us today to talk about your order of protection case in Scotland County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer