Saline County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Saline County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Saline County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be facing dangers, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Saline County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Saline County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Saline County, MO, contact Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Saline County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Saline County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Saline County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Saline County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Saline County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Saline County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Saline County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at every step.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Saline County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in competent hands, benefiting from the help and advocacy you need amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Saline County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all applicable information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will establish the foundation for a strong defense and assist safeguard your rights during the Saline County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Saline County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Saline County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a range of significant consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Saline County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Saline County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step in the direction of ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Saline County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Saline County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not delay to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Saline County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer