Polk County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Polk County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Polk County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Polk County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Polk County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Polk County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Polk County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Polk County, MO can prove to be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Polk County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Polk County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Polk County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Polk County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Polk County, MO. All of our clients have a right to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Polk County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in competent hands, receiving the help and advocacy you need amidst this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Polk County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in grave legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and assist defend your rights throughout the Polk County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Polk County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Polk County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can result in a spectrum of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Polk County, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on defending your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Polk County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step towards safeguarding your rights and future in an order of protection case in Polk County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Polk County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you throughout the legal journey, providing unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Polk County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer