Platte County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Platte County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Platte County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Platte County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Platte County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Platte County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Platte County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Platte County, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Platte County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Platte County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Platte County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Platte County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Platte County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Platte County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Platte County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and aid defend your rights through the Platte County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Platte County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Platte County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a range of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you require experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Platte County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Platte County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step in the direction of ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Platte County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Platte County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you through the legal journey, providing unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to contact us now to talk about your order of protection case in Platte County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer