Phelps County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Phelps County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Phelps County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Phelps County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Phelps County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Phelps County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Phelps County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Phelps County, MO can be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Phelps County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Phelps County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Phelps County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Phelps County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Phelps County, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at every step.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Phelps County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you need throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Phelps County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can cause serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the person who requested the order of protection. This documentation can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will lay the foundation for a solid defense and assist safeguard your rights through the Phelps County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Phelps County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Phelps County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a spectrum of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Phelps County, MO and is committed to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complexities of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Phelps County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the first step in the direction of securing your defense in an order of protection case in Phelps County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Phelps County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side through the legal journey, providing resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not delay to reach out to us now to discuss your order of protection case in Phelps County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer