Pettis County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Pettis County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Pettis County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be confronting threats, harassment, or violence from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Pettis County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Pettis County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Pettis County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Pettis County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Pettis County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Pettis County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Pettis County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Pettis County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Pettis County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Pettis County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Pettis County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you deserve during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Pettis County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause severe legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any interactions, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a qualified attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will set the foundation for a strong defense and aid safeguard your rights through the Pettis County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Pettis County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Pettis County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a spectrum of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you must have experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Pettis County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Pettis County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we highly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the first step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Pettis County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Pettis County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side during the legal journey, giving unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us now to go over your order of protection case in Pettis County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer