Ozark, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Ozark, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Ozark, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to ensure the safety of people who may be confronting risks, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Ozark, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Ozark, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Ozark, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Ozark, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Ozark, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Ozark, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Ozark, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Ozark and Missouri order of protection law. As your Ozark, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Ozark, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail is ignored and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Ozark, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you need throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Ozark, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and assist defend your rights through the Ozark, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Ozark, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Ozark, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a spectrum of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Ozark, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to protecting your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Ozark, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are dealing with an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the first step in the direction of safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Ozark, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Ozark, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side through the legal journey, offering steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Ozark, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer