Osage County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Osage County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Osage County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Osage County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Osage County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Osage County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Osage County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Osage County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Osage County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Osage County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Osage County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Osage County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Osage County, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail is ignored and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Osage County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you require amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Osage County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, knowing it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause severe legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a knowledgeable attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will set the foundation for a robust defense and aid defend your rights through the Osage County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Osage County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Osage County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a range of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Osage County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Osage County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we highly recommend you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards ensuring your rights and future in an order of protection case in Osage County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Osage County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Osage County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer