Newton County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Newton County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Newton County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Newton County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Newton County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Newton County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Newton County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Newton County, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Newton County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Newton County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Newton County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Newton County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a strong track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Newton County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Newton County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you deserve during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Newton County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can result in grave legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will establish the foundation for a robust defense and help protect your rights through the Newton County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Newton County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Newton County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a range of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the imposed restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Newton County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Newton County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Newton County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Newton County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you through the legal journey, providing unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us today to discuss your order of protection case in Newton County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer