Montgomery County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Montgomery County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Montgomery County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal tool designed to safeguard individuals who may be confronting threats, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Montgomery County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Montgomery County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Montgomery County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Montgomery County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Montgomery County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Montgomery County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Montgomery County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in Montgomery County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Montgomery County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Montgomery County, MO. All of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Montgomery County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in competent hands, receiving the help and advocacy you require throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Montgomery County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to severe legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and help protect your rights throughout the Montgomery County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Montgomery County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Montgomery County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Montgomery County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Montgomery County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we highly urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of safeguarding your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Montgomery County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Montgomery County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you throughout the legal journey, providing steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us now to go over your order of protection case in Montgomery County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer