Monroe County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Monroe County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Monroe County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Monroe County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Monroe County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Monroe County, MO, contact Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Monroe County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Monroe County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Monroe County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Monroe County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is proficient in Monroe County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Monroe County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Monroe County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Monroe County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you need amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Monroe County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, reach out to a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to building a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will set the foundation for a robust defense and aid defend your rights throughout the Monroe County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Monroe County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Monroe County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a variety of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Monroe County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Monroe County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step towards ensuring your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Monroe County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Monroe County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us now to talk about your order of protection case in Monroe County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer