Moniteau County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Moniteau County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Moniteau County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to ensure the safety of individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Moniteau County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Moniteau County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Moniteau County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Moniteau County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Amidst these complex and intense scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Moniteau County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Moniteau County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Moniteau County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in Moniteau County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Moniteau County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Moniteau County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Moniteau County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the support and advocacy you require throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Moniteau County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to building a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a strong defense and assist protect your rights throughout the Moniteau County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Law’s Moniteau County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Moniteau County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a variety of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Moniteau County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Moniteau County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the first step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Moniteau County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Moniteau County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side throughout the legal journey, offering steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us now to go over your order of protection case in Moniteau County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer