Miller County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Miller County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Miller County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal instrument designed to ensure the safety of people who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Miller County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Miller County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Miller County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Miller County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Miller County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Miller County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Miller County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Miller County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Miller County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Miller County, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, review your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Miller County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in trustworthy hands, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you deserve during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Miller County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can cause severe legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a qualified attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to building a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a robust defense and aid protect your rights during the Miller County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Miller County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking prompt steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Miller County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including limitations on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Miller County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Miller County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the first step in the direction of securing your defense in an order of protection case in Miller County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Miller County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side during the legal journey, providing steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not wait to contact us now to talk about your order of protection case in Miller County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer