Maries County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Maries County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Maries County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal measure designed to safeguard individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Maries County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Maries County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Maries County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Maries County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Maries County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Maries County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Maries County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Maries County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Maries County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Maries County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Maries County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in competent hands, receiving the assistance and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Maries County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can cause severe legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This documentation can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Candidness is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will lay the foundation for a robust defense and assist protect your rights through the Maries County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Maries County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Maries County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can cause a range of significant consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Maries County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are focused on defending your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Maries County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Maries County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Maries County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you throughout the legal journey, providing resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t wait to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Maries County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer