Macon County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Macon County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Macon County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal measure designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Macon County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Macon County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Macon County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Macon County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Macon County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Macon County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Macon County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Macon County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Macon County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Macon County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Macon County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the help and advocacy you deserve throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Macon County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and help protect your rights through the Macon County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Macon County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Macon County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can result in a variety of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Macon County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, exploring legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Macon County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we highly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Macon County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Macon County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side throughout the legal journey, providing resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us today to discuss your order of protection case in Macon County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer