Livingston County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Livingston County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Livingston County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal measure designed to safeguard individuals who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Livingston County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Livingston County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Livingston County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Livingston County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Livingston County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Livingston County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Livingston County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Livingston County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Livingston County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Livingston County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Livingston County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in capable hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you deserve throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Livingston County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can cause serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and aid defend your rights during the Livingston County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Livingston County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Livingston County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can result in a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the severity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Livingston County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complexities of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Livingston County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we strongly recommend you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the occasion to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Livingston County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Livingston County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you throughout the legal journey, offering steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not wait to contact us now to go over your order of protection case in Livingston County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer