Linn County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in Linn County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Linn County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to protect individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Linn County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Linn County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Linn County, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Linn County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Linn County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Linn County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Linn County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is adept in Linn County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Linn County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Linn County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, review your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will hear the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Linn County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the support and advocacy you deserve amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Linn County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can result in grave legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will lay the foundation for a solid defense and help defend your rights through the Linn County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Linn County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking prompt steps after being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Linn County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can result in a spectrum of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and devoted legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Linn County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Linn County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we highly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Linn County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Linn County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you during the legal journey, giving resolute support, legal skill, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Linn County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer