Lewis County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Lewis County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Lewis County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal instrument designed to protect people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Lewis County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Lewis County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Lewis County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Lewis County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Lewis County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Lewis County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Lewis County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Lewis County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Lewis County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Lewis County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Lewis County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in competent hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you need amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Lewis County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will lay the foundation for a solid defense and help defend your rights during the Lewis County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Lewis County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Lewis County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can result in a spectrum of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Lewis County, MO and is focused on minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Lewis County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are dealing with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step towards safeguarding your rights and future in an order of protection case in Lewis County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Lewis County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side during the legal journey, providing steadfast support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not delay to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Lewis County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer