Lawrence County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Lawrence County, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Lawrence County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal instrument designed to protect people who may be confronting threats, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Lawrence County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Lawrence County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Lawrence County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Lawrence County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Lawrence County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Lawrence County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Lawrence County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Lawrence County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Lawrence County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Lawrence County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving vital evidence to strengthen your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Lawrence County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in capable hands, benefiting from the help and advocacy you need during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Lawrence County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause severe legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will lay the foundation for a robust defense and assist safeguard your rights throughout the Lawrence County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Lawrence County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Lawrence County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a spectrum of significant consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Lawrence County, MO and is dedicated to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Lawrence County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we highly encourage you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step towards securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Lawrence County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Lawrence County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now to go over your order of protection case in Lawrence County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer