Ladue, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Ladue, MO you need an experienced order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Ladue, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal measure designed to ensure the safety of individuals who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Ladue, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Ladue, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Ladue, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Ladue, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Ladue, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Ladue, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Ladue, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is adept in Ladue and Missouri order of protection law. As your Ladue, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Ladue, MO. All of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Ladue, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the support and advocacy you deserve during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Ladue, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will lay the foundation for a robust defense and aid safeguard your rights during the Ladue, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Ladue, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Ladue, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be banned from possessing firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Ladue, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Ladue, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are dealing with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of securing your defense in an order of protection case in Ladue, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Ladue, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you during the legal journey, giving unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now to talk about your order of protection case in Ladue, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer