Laclede County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Laclede County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Laclede County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be dealing with dangers, harassment, or violence from another party. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Laclede County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Laclede County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Laclede County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Laclede County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Laclede County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Laclede County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Laclede County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Laclede County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Laclede County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a strong history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Laclede County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of veteran legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, review your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Laclede County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the support and advocacy you deserve throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Laclede County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a qualified attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will establish the foundation for a robust defense and assist safeguard your rights through the Laclede County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Laclede County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Laclede County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a range of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Laclede County, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on defending your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Laclede County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, voice your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the preliminary step towards ensuring your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Laclede County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Laclede County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to supporting you during the legal journey, offering resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Laclede County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer