Kickapoo, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Kickapoo, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Kickapoo, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be confronting risks, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Kickapoo, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Kickapoo, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Kickapoo, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Kickapoo, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Kickapoo, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Kickapoo, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Kickapoo, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in Kickapoo and Missouri order of protection law. As your Kickapoo, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Kickapoo, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Kickapoo, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you deserve amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Kickapoo, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will set the foundation for a strong defense and assist safeguard your rights throughout the Kickapoo, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Kickapoo, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Kickapoo, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can result in a variety of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Kickapoo, MO and is dedicated to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Kickapoo, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this crucial initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the first step towards ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Kickapoo, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Kickapoo, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you through the legal journey, providing unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Don’t delay to contact us today to talk about your order of protection case in Kickapoo, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer