Kansas City, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Kansas City, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Kansas City, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal measure designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be facing dangers, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Kansas City, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Kansas City, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Kansas City, MO, get in touch with Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Kansas City, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Kansas City, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Kansas City, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Kansas City, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Kansas City and Missouri order of protection law. As your Kansas City, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Kansas City, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Kansas City, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you require throughout this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Kansas City, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, knowing it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and help protect your rights through the Kansas City, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Kansas City, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Kansas City, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a range of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require experienced and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Kansas City, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Kansas City, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the preliminary step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in Kansas City, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Kansas City, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, giving steadfast support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not delay to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Kansas City, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer