Johnson County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Johnson County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Johnson County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal measure designed to protect people who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Johnson County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Johnson County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Johnson County, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Johnson County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Johnson County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Johnson County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Johnson County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Johnson County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Johnson County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Johnson County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation at no cost to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Johnson County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in competent hands, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you need throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Johnson County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can result in severe legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and aid safeguard your rights throughout the Johnson County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Johnson County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Johnson County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can result in a range of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Johnson County, MO and is dedicated to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Johnson County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are dealing with an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we highly urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step in the direction of safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Johnson County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Johnson County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you during the legal journey, offering resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Johnson County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer