Jefferson County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Jefferson County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jefferson County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to safeguard people who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Jefferson County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Jefferson County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Jefferson County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Jefferson County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Jefferson County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Jefferson County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Jefferson County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Jefferson County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Jefferson County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Jefferson County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Jefferson County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the help and advocacy you require during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Jefferson County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the person who requested the order of protection. This log can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and aid protect your rights through the Jefferson County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that offered by Combs Law’s Jefferson County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Jefferson County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a range of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Jefferson County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the complexities of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Jefferson County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are dealing with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we vigorously encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this crucial initial meeting, you will have the chance to go over the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the preliminary step towards safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Jefferson County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jefferson County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Jefferson County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer