Jasper County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Jasper County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jasper County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal measure designed to protect people who may be confronting risks, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Jasper County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Jasper County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Jasper County, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Jasper County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Jasper County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Jasper County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Jasper County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Jasper County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Jasper County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent track record of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Jasper County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is ignored and the court will receive the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Jasper County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in capable hands, receiving the assistance and advocacy you need during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Jasper County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to severe legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all applicable information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and aid safeguard your rights through the Jasper County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Jasper County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Jasper County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the mandated restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Jasper County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on protecting your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Jasper County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are facing an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we vigorously recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the first step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Jasper County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jasper County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side during the legal journey, giving resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not delay to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Jasper County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer