Jackson County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Jackson County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jackson County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to protect people who may be dealing with dangers, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Jackson County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Jackson County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Jackson County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Jackson County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Jackson County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Jackson County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Jackson County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is proficient in Jackson County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Jackson County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Jackson County, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Jackson County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the help and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Jackson County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and aid defend your rights through the Jackson County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Jackson County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Jackson County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Jackson County, MO and is focused on minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Jackson County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Jackson County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Jackson County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us now to discuss your order of protection case in Jackson County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer