Howell County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Howell County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Howell County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-cost consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to protect individuals who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or assault from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Howell County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Howell County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Howell County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Howell County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Amidst these complex and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Howell County, MO can make all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Howell County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Howell County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Howell County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Howell County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Howell County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Howell County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in capable hands, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you deserve throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Howell County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, get in touch with a qualified attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is paramount to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all applicable information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Transparency is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and assist defend your rights during the Howell County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that offered by Combs Law’s Howell County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Howell County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can lead to a range of significant consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, like arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the gravity of the potential consequences, you require seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Howell County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on defending your rights, looking into legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Howell County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
In the event that you are confronted with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we strongly recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this crucial initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step towards ensuring your rights and future in an order of protection case in Howell County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Howell County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
With Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you throughout the legal journey, offering unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Howell County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer