Holt County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Holt County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Holt County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be facing risks, harassment, or violence from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Holt County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Holt County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Holt County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Holt County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Holt County, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Holt County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Holt County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in Holt County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Holt County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Holt County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving essential evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail is ignored and the court will hear the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Holt County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Holt County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, get in touch with a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will establish the foundation for a strong defense and assist safeguard your rights during the Holt County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Holt County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Issuance or denial of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Holt County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be banned from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Holt County, MO and is committed to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to defending your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complexities of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Holt County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we strongly urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the chance to talk about the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of ensuring your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Holt County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Holt County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you throughout the legal journey, giving steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to reach out to us today to go over your order of protection case in Holt County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer