Hillsboro, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Hillsboro, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Hillsboro, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal tool designed to safeguard individuals who may be dealing with dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Hillsboro, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Hillsboro, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Hillsboro, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Hillsboro, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies intentionally participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Hillsboro, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Hillsboro, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Hillsboro, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Hillsboro and Missouri order of protection law. As your Hillsboro, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Hillsboro, MO. All of our clients have a right to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in assembling and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Hillsboro, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, benefiting from the help and advocacy you deserve during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Hillsboro, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, comprehending it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to grave legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This documentation can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, get in touch with a knowledgeable attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will lay the foundation for a strong defense and assist protect your rights through the Hillsboro, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Hillsboro, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Hillsboro, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a range of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, including arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the nuances of order of protection cases in Hillsboro, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are devoted to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Hillsboro, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly encourage you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Hillsboro, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Hillsboro, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you through the legal journey, giving steadfast support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t wait to contact us today to discuss your order of protection case in Hillsboro, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer