Henry County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Henry County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Henry County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to ensure the safety of people who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Henry County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Henry County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Henry County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Henry County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means deliberately participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Henry County, MO can make all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Henry County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Henry County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Henry County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Henry County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Henry County, MO. Each and every one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of seasoned legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Henry County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the support and advocacy you deserve amidst this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Henry County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can result in severe legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents concerning the other party. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these immediate actions will set the foundation for a solid defense and assist safeguard your rights during the Henry County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, akin to that given by Combs Law’s Henry County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps following being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Henry County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a spectrum of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the mandated restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be prohibited from possessing firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the intricacies of order of protection cases in Henry County, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to protecting your rights, exploring legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Henry County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, voice your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the first step in the direction of safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Henry County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Henry County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side during the legal journey, providing resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us today to talk about your order of protection case in Henry County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer