Harrison County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Harrison County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Harrison County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be confronting threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Harrison County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Harrison County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Harrison County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Harrison County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Harrison County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Harrison County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Harrison County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is adept in Harrison County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Harrison County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Harrison County, MO. All of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation at no cost to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Harrison County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you require amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Harrison County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will establish the foundation for a strong defense and help protect your rights during the Harrison County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, such as that given by Combs Law’s Harrison County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Harrison County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can result in a spectrum of major consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be banned from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the severity of the potential consequences, you need experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Harrison County, MO and is focused on minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Harrison County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or seek legal guidance in such matters, we highly urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, express your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the first step towards safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Harrison County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Harrison County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, offering steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us today to discuss your order of protection case in Harrison County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer