Grundy County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were hit with a restraining order in Grundy County, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Grundy County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to protect individuals who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is compelling rationale, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Grundy County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Grundy County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Grundy County, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Grundy County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Grundy County, MO can be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed correctly and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Grundy County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Grundy County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Grundy County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Grundy County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Grundy County, MO. Every single one of our clients have a right to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to design robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, ensuring that no detail is ignored and the court will get the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Grundy County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in trustworthy hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you require during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Grundy County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a knowledgeable attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, like details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will establish the foundation for a strong defense and assist defend your rights through the Grundy County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Law’s Grundy County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Grundy County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a variety of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the mandated restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Grundy County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are focused on defending your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Grundy County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Grundy County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Grundy County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side through the legal journey, providing resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us now to discuss your order of protection case in Grundy County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer