Greene County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Greene County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Greene County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a complimentary consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a vital legal tool designed to protect people who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Greene County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Greene County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Greene County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Greene County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any medium or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Greene County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Greene County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Greene County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the details involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Greene County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Greene County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Greene County, MO. All of our clients have a right to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will hear the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We offer unwavering representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Greene County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in competent hands, getting the assistance and advocacy you deserve throughout this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Greene County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to serious legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Keep a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the person who requested the order of protection. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is essential to defend your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to building a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will establish the foundation for a strong defense and aid defend your rights through the Greene County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Greene County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your side of the story and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Greene County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a spectrum of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the intricacies of order of protection cases in Greene County, MO and is committed to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not wade through the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Greene County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are confronted with an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options open to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and future in an order of protection case in Greene County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Greene County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side through the legal journey, giving resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not delay to get in touch with us now to go over your order of protection case in Greene County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer