Gentry County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Gentry County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Gentry County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal measure designed to ensure the safety of people who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Gentry County, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Gentry County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Gentry County, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Gentry County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Gentry County, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Gentry County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Gentry County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is proficient in Gentry County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Gentry County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a consistent history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Gentry County, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, review your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to strengthen your defense, making sure that no detail is missed and the court will hear the full version of both sides of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Gentry County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the help and advocacy you require during this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Gentry County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in severe legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This log can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a qualified attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on entering your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these prompt steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and aid protect your rights during the Gentry County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s Gentry County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Gentry County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can cause a range of significant consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, like restrictions on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from possessing firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you require seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Gentry County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to defending your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complications of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Gentry County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we highly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the preliminary step in the direction of securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Gentry County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Gentry County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, giving resolute support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not hesitate to reach out to us today to discuss your order of protection case in Gentry County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer