Fulton, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Fulton, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Fulton, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to protect people who may be dealing with risks, harassment, or violence from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Fulton, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and interests protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Fulton, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Fulton, MO, get in touch with Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Fulton, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to pressure a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies deliberately undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Fulton, MO can prove to be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed appropriately and that all parties’ rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Fulton, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in Fulton, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Fulton and Missouri order of protection law. As your Fulton, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law has a strong track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Fulton, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We utilize this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in collecting and preserving vital evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail is ignored and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators work to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Fulton, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, receiving the help and advocacy you require throughout this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Fulton, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can lead to severe legal consequences, like criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will establish the foundation for a solid defense and assist safeguard your rights throughout the Fulton, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, such as that provided by Combs Law’s Fulton, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Fulton, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a variety of notable consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you require seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Fulton, MO and is committed to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are focused on defending your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Fulton, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are confronted with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we highly recommend you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the first step towards safeguarding your defense in an order of protection case in Fulton, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Fulton, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a no-obligation consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side through the legal journey, offering resolute support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us now to go over your order of protection case in Fulton, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer