Frontenac, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Frontenac, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Frontenac, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be dealing with threats, harassment, or violence from another party. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the alleged perpetrator to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Frontenac, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Frontenac, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Frontenac, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and achieve the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Frontenac, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to comply
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Frontenac, MO can make all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Frontenac, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Frontenac, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Frontenac and Missouri order of protection law. As your Frontenac, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a consistent history of achieving the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Frontenac, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team consists of veteran legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation without any fees to assess the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, discuss your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in assembling and preserving essential evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Frontenac, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are getting the best possible defense team, getting the help and advocacy you require during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Frontenac, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to defend your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Comprehend its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, comprehending it and following it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause serious legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents concerning the person who requested the order of protection. This record can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a competent attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to defend your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a robust defense and aid safeguard your rights throughout the Frontenac, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Frontenac, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking immediate steps following being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Frontenac, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a spectrum of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can associate with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent facing an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the severity of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and committed legal representation. Combs Law knows the subtleties of order of protection cases in Frontenac, MO and is dedicated to lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to defending your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t navigate the challenges of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Frontenac, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are facing an order of protection or require legal guidance in such matters, we strongly urge you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this pivotal initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of ensuring your rights and future in an order of protection case in Frontenac, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Frontenac, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-obligation consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to contact us today to go over your order of protection case in Frontenac, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer