Franklin County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Franklin County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Franklin County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a essential legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be facing threats, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say abused them. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Franklin County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Franklin County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Franklin County, MO, contact Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Franklin County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Franklin County, MO can be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is adhered to correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Franklin County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Franklin County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a profound understanding of the details involved. Our team of seasoned attorneys is well-versed in Franklin County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Franklin County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent history of securing the best possible outcomes for clients dealing with orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Franklin County, MO. Each and every one of our clients are entitled to have their story shared in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to assess the specifics of your case, answer your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team works in gathering and preserving vital evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver steadfast representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Franklin County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in capable hands, getting the support and advocacy you deserve amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Franklin County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by thoroughly reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, understanding it and following it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Comply closely to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can result in severe legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This log can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, contact a competent attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future in the best manner.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Candidness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these immediate steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and aid protect your rights during the Franklin County, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Law’s Franklin County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Franklin County, MO, Missouri
Facing an order of protection can lead to a variety of significant consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, particularly if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as restrictions on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from having firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Violating an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Franklin County, MO and is committed to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are focused on defending your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Franklin County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer For a Free Consultation
If you are facing an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we strongly recommend you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the chance to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the first step towards securing your defense in an order of protection case in Franklin County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Franklin County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a free consultation.
At Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you during the legal journey, giving resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us now to go over your order of protection case in Franklin County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer