Farmington, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in Farmington, MO you need a skilled order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Farmington, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a critical legal instrument designed to safeguard individuals who may be confronting threats, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an order of protection alleging those actions against a current relative or household member.
If a judge determines there is compelling rationale, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t happen within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Farmington, MO judge thinks you are.
During this pivotal hearing you need your rights and future protected by expert order of protection defense lawyers in Farmington, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Farmington, MO, reach out to Combs Law immediately at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Farmington, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Harming a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or utilizing threats to force a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully participating in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Farmington, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed correctly and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Farmington, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
If you’re facing an order of protection in Farmington, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Farmington and Missouri order of protection law. As your Farmington, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Farmington, MO. Every single one of our clients deserve to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We offer an initial consultation free of charge to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving essential evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer steadfast representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and interests at every step.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, aiming to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Farmington, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are in competent hands, receiving the assistance and advocacy you need during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Farmington, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to safeguard your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to make sure of compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Obey the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can cause serious legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Keep a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents related to the other party. This log can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to protect your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Provide all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Candidness is key to creating a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on accessing your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will establish the foundation for a robust defense and aid defend your rights through the Farmington, MO order of protection case. Remember that legal representation, akin to that provided by Combs Law’s Farmington, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to direct you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking immediate steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will occur:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will detail your side of the story and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before you have your day in court. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Farmington, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a variety of notable consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, particularly if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can cause the loss of personal freedoms, such as limitations on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Farmington, MO and is focused on lessening the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complications of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Farmington, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we highly recommend you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this crucial initial meeting, you will have the occasion to talk about the details of your case, voice your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options available to you.
To take the first step in the direction of ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Farmington, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Farmington, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are focused on supporting you during the legal journey, offering resolute support, knowledge, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us now to discuss your order of protection case in Farmington, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer