Dent County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you received a restraining order in Dent County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to ensure your rights and future stay intact. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Dent County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us through our website for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a vital legal instrument designed to ensure the well-being of people who may be facing threats, harassment, or violence from someone in their family or household. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge evaluates the petition and thinks there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until a hearing. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Dent County, MO judge thinks you are.
It’s at this hearing that you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in Dent County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Dent County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Dent County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act presents two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Mistreating a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” including following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
Within such complicated and emotionally charged scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Dent County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed appropriately and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Dent County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Dent County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is adept in Dent County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Dent County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a proven track record of securing the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Dent County, MO. All of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with in-depth knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to design robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in collecting and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, guaranteeing that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver unwavering representation in court proceedings, standing up for your rights and future at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Dent County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the help and advocacy you require during this challenging time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
If served with an order of protection in Dent County, MO, it is crucial to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Adhere strictly to the stipulations mentioned in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, like arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a thorough record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This documentation can serve as crucial evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a qualified attorney with expertise in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is essential to protect your rights and future most effectively.
- Notify your attorney — Give all applicable information with your attorney, like details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Transparency is key to forming a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection comes with restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and assist defend your rights during the Dent County, MO order of protection case. Bear in mind that legal representation, like that provided by Combs Law’s Dent County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to lead you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking immediate steps post being served an order of protection, it’s essential to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings tied to your case. Be present at all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to guarantee your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Dent County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can result in a range of notable consequences that extend beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the enforced restriction on communicating with the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, including constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can lead to criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection imposed on you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Considering the seriousness of the potential consequences, you require experienced and committed legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Dent County, MO and is dedicated to reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are devoted to safeguarding your rights, investigating legal options, and aiming for the best possible outcome for your case. Do not navigate the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Dent County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are facing an order of protection or require legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. In this essential initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the preliminary step in the direction of ensuring your defense in an order of protection case in Dent County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Dent County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are focused on standing by your side throughout the legal journey, offering unwavering support, legal skill, and advocacy. Don’t delay to get in touch with us today to go over your order of protection case in Dent County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer