DeKalb County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
If you were served with a restraining order in DeKalb County, MO you need a knowledgeable order of protection defense lawyer to protect your rights and interests. With a established track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in DeKalb County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation. You can check out our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a crucial legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be facing dangers, harassment, or assault from someone else. It serves as a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that compels the accused to abstain from any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the DeKalb County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by talented order of protection defense lawyers in DeKalb County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in DeKalb County, MO, reach out to Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in DeKalb County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or causing physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to comply
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” like tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and highly emotional scenarios, the advice and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in DeKalb County, MO can be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is adhered to appropriately and that each individual’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your DeKalb County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
When you are facing an order of protection in DeKalb County, MO, you should have a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in DeKalb County and Missouri order of protection law. As your DeKalb County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a strong track record of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in DeKalb County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises experienced legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We provide an initial consultation free of charge to examine the specifics of your case, answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in assembling and preserving crucial evidence to bolster your defense, making sure that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We offer resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to lessen the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated DeKalb County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can feel certain that you are in competent hands, receiving the support and advocacy you need throughout this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in DeKalb County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with thoroughly reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Understand its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Obey the order — Comply closely to the stipulations specified in the order of protection. Any violation can cause grave legal consequences, including arrest.
- Document all communication — Maintain a comprehensive record of any communication, interactions or incidents related to the petitioner. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, reach out to a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Securing legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Give all relevant information with your attorney, such as details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Candidness is key to building a robust defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to prevent further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will set the foundation for a solid defense and assist defend your rights through the DeKalb County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that offered by Combs Law’s DeKalb County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Upon taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and your legal strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled court appearances with your attorney to ensure your voice is heard and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually includes:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, including the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in DeKalb County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a range of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can result in the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, such as arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be banned from owning firearms as per federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also cause immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the severity of the potential consequences, you must have knowledgeable and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in DeKalb County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are committed to safeguarding your rights, looking into legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your advocate and guide.
Call Combs Law’s DeKalb County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are facing an order of protection or seek legal advice in such matters, we strongly encourage you to set up a consultation with Combs Law. In this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, convey your concerns, and obtain insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the first step towards safeguarding your rights and future in an order of protection case in DeKalb County, MO, talk to an order of protection defense lawyer in DeKalb County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
At Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side through the legal journey, providing steadfast support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not delay to reach out to us today to discuss your order of protection case in DeKalb County, MO and take proactive steps towards safeguarding your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer