Daviess County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s dedicated Daviess County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing highly successful defense solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Daviess County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
Understanding Orders of Protection
An order of protection, also known as a restraining order, is a crucial legal tool designed to safeguard people who may be confronting dangers, harassment, or violence from another party. It is a court-issued document–signed by a judge–that orders the alleged perpetrator to abstain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or household member.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can provide an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the petitioner and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Daviess County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Daviess County, MO. If you were given an order of protection in Daviess County, MO, contact Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible resolution to your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Daviess County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two primary instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to force a person to act in a certain way
- Harassment, or participating in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or detaining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking implies purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to invoke fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Within such complicated and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Daviess County, MO can prove to be all the difference in making sure that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Daviess County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Daviess County, MO, you need a defense lawyer with a thorough understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Daviess County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Daviess County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Daviess County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises veteran legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to formulate robust defenses tailored to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to examine the specifics of your case, address your questions, discuss your legal options, and create a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team assists in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will receive the full version of all perspectives of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at every step.
- Negotiation — Our adept negotiators endeavor to reach favorable resolutions when possible, striving to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
With Combs Law as your dedicated Daviess County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the assistance and advocacy you deserve amidst this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Daviess County, MO, it is vital to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Begin by meticulously reading the order of protection document you received. Understand its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not agree with everything it says, understanding it and adhering to it until the hearing is in your best interest in the long run.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, including criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any correspondence, interactions or incidents involving the petitioner. This record can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Immediately, contact a knowledgeable attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is paramount to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, like details of the situation that caused the order of protection. Openness is key to forming a strong defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection has restrictions on entering your home or possessions, adhere to these restrictions to avoid further legal complications.
Taking these swift actions will establish the foundation for a robust defense and help safeguard your rights during the Daviess County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that offered by Combs Law’s Daviess County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is essential to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking prompt steps following being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will help you in crafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Keep in mind the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your side of the story. The hearing usually comprises:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, accompanied by the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Daviess County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can cause a range of significant consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The most immediate consequence is the imposed restriction on reaching out to the protected party. This can interfere with personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, such as constraints on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Infringing the terms of an order of protection can result in criminal charges, such as arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent subject to an order of protection may be prohibited from having firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder becomes subject to a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an alien, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also result in immigration-related issues.
Taking into account the gravity of the potential consequences, you must have experienced and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Daviess County, MO and is dedicated to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our experienced attorneys are committed to protecting your rights, investigating legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t traverse the challenges of an order of protection alone – allow Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Daviess County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
If you are facing an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we vigorously encourage you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this crucial initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to discuss the details of your case, express your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options available to you.
To begin the preliminary step towards securing your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Daviess County, MO, reach out to an order of protection defense lawyer in Daviess County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a free consultation.
With Combs Law, we are dedicated to standing by your side throughout the legal journey, offering steadfast support, expertise, and advocacy. Do not delay to get in touch with us now to discuss your order of protection case in Daviess County, MO and take proactive steps towards protecting your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer