Dallas County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s expert Dallas County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a impressive track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions to help good people caught in bad situations. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Dallas County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or reach out to us online for a no-cost consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a essential legal measure designed to protect individuals who may be facing risks, harassment, or assault from someone else. It is a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that orders the accused to refrain from any form of contact with the petitioner.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who has suffered from domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an protective order alleging those actions against a current family member or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is “good cause”, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and their alleged abuser. The ex parte order occurs before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t take place within 15 days, the immediate protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Dallas County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and future protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Dallas County, MO. If you were served with an order of protection in Dallas County, MO, reach out to Combs Law as soon as possible at (314) 900-HELP. We will endeavor to have your order of protection dismissed and obtain the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Dallas County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act offers two main instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or putting another person in fear of being physically injured
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or employing threats to pressure a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or engaging in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Kidnapping, or holding somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means purposefully engaging in an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to trigger fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as following, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any method or device
In these intricate and intense scenarios, the counsel and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Dallas County, MO can prove to be all the difference in guaranteeing that the legal process is followed correctly and that everyone’s rights are protected.
Combs Law: Your Dallas County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Dallas County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the intricacies involved. Our team of experienced attorneys is well-versed in Dallas County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Dallas County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we provide:
- Proven successes — Combs Law boasts a proven history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients who received orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Dallas County, MO. Each and every one of our clients deserve to have their story heard in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team is made up of experienced legal professionals with thorough knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We tap into this expertise to craft robust defenses suited for your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, respond to your questions, go over your legal options, and formulate a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in collecting and preserving crucial evidence to strengthen your defense, ensuring that no detail is missed and the court will get the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We provide resolute representation in court proceedings, advocating for your rights and future at each stage.
- Negotiation — Our skilled negotiators endeavor to reach agreeable resolutions when possible, striving to reduce the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Dallas County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can rest assured that you are getting the best possible defense team, benefiting from the help and advocacy you need during this difficult time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
When served with an order of protection in Dallas County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to get the best possible results in your case:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you’ve been served. Grasp its terms and restrictions to ensure compliance. While you may not accept everything it says, understanding it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your best long-term advantage.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations mandated in the order of protection. Any violation can cause serious legal consequences, such as arrest.
- Document all communication — Hold onto a comprehensive record of any interactions, interactions or incidents concerning the petitioner. This documentation can serve as vital evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Promptly, reach out to a knowledgeable attorney with experience in order of protection cases. Obtaining legal representation is vital to defend your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all relevant information with your attorney, including details of the situation that led to the order of protection. Openness is key to creating a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, comply with these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these prompt actions will set the foundation for a strong defense and assist protect your rights throughout the Dallas County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, akin to that offered by Combs Law’s Dallas County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is crucial to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
After taking swift steps after being served an order of protection, it’s vital to understand the legal process that will unfold:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will aid you in drafting and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will outline your version of events and your defense strategy.
- Court dates — Be aware of the court dates and hearings associated with your case. Attend all scheduled hearings with your attorney to ensure your voice is acknowledged and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Approval or rejection of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Dallas County, MO, Missouri
Confronting an order of protection can result in a variety of major consequences that go beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The foremost consequence is the mandated restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, notably if you share children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like constraints on where you can go and who you can spend time with.
- Criminal charges — Breaking the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, like arrest and potential incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from having firearms under federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is under a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an foreign national, having an order of protection placed on you may have consequences. Infringing an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the seriousness of the potential consequences, you need seasoned and devoted legal representation. Combs Law understands the nuances of order of protection cases in Dallas County, MO and is focused on reducing the impact of these orders on your life. Our knowledgeable attorneys are focused on safeguarding your rights, exploring legal options, and seeking the best possible outcome for your case. Don’t wade through the challenges of an order of protection alone – have Combs Law be your representative and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Dallas County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Now
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal guidance in such matters, we highly urge you to arrange for a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the occasion to go over the details of your case, convey your concerns, and gain insights into the legal options accessible for you.
To take the preliminary step towards ensuring your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Dallas County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Dallas County, MO now at (314) 900-HELP or contact us through our website for a complimentary consultation.
Through Combs Law, we are committed to standing by your side during the legal journey, providing steadfast support, legal skill, and advocacy. Do not wait to reach out to us now to talk about your order of protection case in Dallas County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer