Crawford County, MO Order of Protection Lawyer
Combs Law’s professional Crawford County, MO order of protection defense lawyers are trusted and esteemed criminal defense attorneys dedicated to safeguarding the rights and interests of individuals who have been served with a restraining order. With a proven track record of excellence, Combs Law is committed to providing effective legal solutions tailored to the unique needs of our clients. Speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Crawford County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a no-risk, no-obligation consultation. Take a look at our defense victories here.
What Is an Order of Protection?
An order of protection, also called a restraining order, is a critical legal tool designed to ensure the well-being of individuals who may be confronting risks, harassment, or assault from another party. It serves as a court-issued directive–signed by a judge–that requires the accused to avoid any form of contact with the person who requested the order of protection.
Under Missouri Revised Statute §455.020, anybody who is a victim of domestic violence, stalking or sexual assault can file an restraining order alleging those actions against a current relative or someone who lives with them.
If a judge determines there is justifiable reason, they can issue an “ex parte order of protection,” which limits contact between the alleged victim and they person they say is a risk. The ex parte order is issued before a hearing and remains in effect until all parties gather for a court appearance. If a hearing doesn’t occur within 15 days, the order of protection automatically expires. After the hearing, a judge can issue a full order that lasts between 180 days to up to two years, depending on how serious a threat the Crawford County, MO judge thinks you are.
At this crucial hearing you need your rights and interests protected by experienced order of protection defense lawyers in Crawford County, MO. If you were handed an order of protection in Crawford County, MO, get in touch with Combs Law right away at (314) 900-HELP. We will strive to have your order of protection dismissed and secure the best possible outcome in your case.
Common Situations Involving Orders of Protection in Crawford County, MO
Missouri’s Domestic Violence Act provides two chief instances where someone can file an order of protection: abuse and stalking.
- Abuse — Abuse can be acts, attempts or threats involving:
- Injuring a pet
- Assault, or placing another person in fear of physical harm
- Battery, or inflicting physical harm
- Coercion, or leveraging threats to compel a person to follow a specific action
- Harassment, or taking part in a course of conduct that “alarms or causes distress to another person and serves no legitimate purpose”
- Sexual assault
- Unlawful imprisonment, or confining somebody somewhere against their will
- Stalking — Stalking means intentionally undertaking an unwanted course of conduct that causes alarm.
- Alarm means to cause fear of physical harm
- Course of conduct means two or more acts that “serve no legitimate purpose” such as tracking, monitoring, observing, surveilling, threatening, or communicating through any means or device
Amidst these complex and intense scenarios, the guidance and representation of an order of protection defense lawyer in Crawford County, MO can be all the difference in ensuring that the legal process is followed appropriately and that no ones rights are infringed on.
Combs Law: Your Crawford County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer
Should you be facing an order of protection in Crawford County, MO, you require a defense lawyer with a deep understanding of the nuances involved. Our team of knowledgeable attorneys is well-versed in Crawford County and Missouri order of protection law. As your Crawford County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, we offer:
- Proven successes — Combs Law maintains a consistent history of attaining the best possible outcomes for clients facing orders of protection and/or criminal charges in Crawford County, MO. Every single one of our clients are entitled to have their story presented in court.
- Expertise and experience — Our team comprises seasoned legal professionals with deep knowledge of order of protection laws, courtroom procedures and negotiation strategies. We leverage this expertise to craft robust defenses specific to your unique circumstances.
- Legal consultation — We extend an initial consultation without any fees to evaluate the specifics of your case, address your questions, go over your legal options, and develop a customized legal strategy.
- Evidence collection — Our team helps in gathering and preserving crucial evidence to fortify your defense, ensuring that no detail goes overlooked and the court will receive the full version of every angle of the story.
- Court representation — We deliver resolute representation in court proceedings, fighting for your rights and interests at all phases.
- Negotiation — Our talented negotiators work to reach amicable resolutions when possible, aiming to mitigate the impact of an order of protection on your life.
By choosing Combs Law as your dedicated Crawford County, MO order of protection defense lawyer, you can be confident that you are in trustworthy hands, receiving the assistance and advocacy you deserve amidst this tough time.
What to Do After Being Served With an Order of Protection
Whenever served with an order of protection in Crawford County, MO, it is imperative to take immediate and deliberate steps to protect your rights and interests:
- Read the order thoroughly — Start with carefully reading the order of protection document you received. Grasp its terms and restrictions to guarantee compliance. While you may not concur with everything it says, knowing it and abiding by it until the hearing is in your long-term best interest.
- Do not violate the order — Stick firmly to the stipulations outlined in the order of protection. Any violation can result in serious legal consequences, such as criminal charges.
- Document all communication — Maintain a detailed record of any communication, interactions or incidents involving the other party. This record can serve as essential evidence in your defense.
- Contact an order of protection defense lawyer — Without delay, contact a competent attorney with a background in order of protection cases. Getting legal representation is vital to safeguard your rights and future in the most optimal way.
- Notify your attorney — Share all pertinent information with your attorney, including details of the situation that resulted in the order of protection. Openness is key to building a solid defense.
- Restrictions on possessions — If the order of protection includes restrictions on reaching your home or possessions, abide by these restrictions to steer clear of further legal complications.
Taking these swift steps will lay the foundation for a strong defense and assist safeguard your rights through the Crawford County, MO order of protection case. Keep in mind that legal representation, like that given by Combs Law’s Crawford County, MO order of protection defense attorneys, is vital to guide you through this process.
The Legal Process
Once taking swift steps post being served an order of protection, it’s imperative to understand the legal process that will transpire:
- Filing a response — Your attorney will assist you in preparing and filing a response to the order of protection. This response will depict your version of events and the legal defenses you have.
- Court dates — Stay informed of the court dates and hearings related to your case. Participate in all scheduled hearings with your attorney to make sure your voice is recognized and the court does not side with the petitioner before hearing your version of events. The hearing usually consists of:
- Presentation of evidence
- Witness testimony
- Legal arguments
- Granting or refusal of a protection order, along with the duration and explanation of terms (if granted)
Consequences of an Order of Protection in Crawford County, MO, Missouri
Encountering an order of protection can lead to a variety of major consequences that reach beyond the courtroom:
- Restrictions on contact — The primary consequence is the enforced restriction on contacting the protected party. This can disrupt personal relationships, especially if you have in common children, a residence, or other common interests.
- Impact on personal life — Orders of protection can lead to the loss of personal freedoms, like limitations on where you can go and who you can be with.
- Criminal charges — Violating the terms of an order of protection can cause criminal charges, including arrest and possible incarceration.
- Firearm restrictions — A respondent under an order of protection may be forbidden from owning firearms according to federal law.
- Suspension of concealed carry permit — A concealed carry permit may be suspended if the holder is affected by a valid full order of protection.
- Immigration consequences — If you’re an immigrant, having an order of protection issued against you may have consequences. Breaking an order of protection can also lead to immigration-related issues.
Given the gravity of the potential consequences, you require knowledgeable and dedicated legal representation. Combs Law understands the subtleties of order of protection cases in Crawford County, MO and is committed to minimizing the impact of these orders on your life. Our seasoned attorneys are committed to protecting your rights, investigating legal options, and pursuing the best possible outcome for your case. Do not traverse the complexities of an order of protection alone – let Combs Law be your champion and guide.
Call Combs Law’s Crawford County, MO Order of Protection Defense Lawyer Today
In the event that you are dealing with an order of protection or need legal advice in such matters, we vigorously urge you to schedule a consultation with Combs Law. During this vital initial meeting, you will have the opportunity to go over the details of your case, voice your concerns, and acquire insights into the legal options open to you.
To take the first step towards ensuring your rights and interests in an order of protection case in Crawford County, MO, speak to an order of protection defense lawyer in Crawford County, MO today at (314) 900-HELP or contact us online for a complimentary consultation.
With Combs Law, we are committed to supporting you through the legal journey, giving unwavering support, expertise, and advocacy. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us now to go over your order of protection case in Crawford County, MO and take proactive steps towards defending your rights and future.
Order of Protection Defense Lawyer